ViewSat is one of the fastest-growing operators within the global broadcast and transmission services industry for television and radio channels.
Launched in 2006 to provide digital satellite services to private broadcasters in Sub-Saharan Africa, the company is now active across the global marketplace with operations in the Middle East and North Africa, Asia, Europe and North America and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Headquartered in the UK, ViewSat operates a series of satellite broadcasting platforms, supplemented with a dedicated fiber network, teleports and playout centre to provide a high-quality infrastructure for customers’ digital satellite broadcasting.
Our outstanding reputation for quality and reliability has been built on consistently excellent network delivery and on the high-calibre of expertise and advice that we share with our customers.
ViewSat was established in 2006 to meet the demand for a reliable, cost-effective private broadcast service in Sub-Saharan Africa. In the absence of such a service, private broadcasters had no outlet for their programmes.
Following the launch of a platform on IS10 KU Band and using playout and turnaround services provided by third parties, ViewSat quickly began to provide the solution.
Communication and transport within Sub-Saharan Africa were often challenging. However in establishing a leading position on the continent, the growing ViewSat team developed a reputation for real insight and understanding of the local markets and for identifying and responding to the individual needs of customers.
The company also developed expertise in tailoring the right solution to new entrants to broadcasting and sharing with them the benefit of its knowledge and experience. Significant investment has followed the launch of that first platform and ViewSat now has new platforms, a dedicated playout centre and its own fibre network.
From Sub-Saharan Africa, ViewSat has taken its operations worldwide using the same principles of understanding clients, markets and local business cultures. This in-depth knowledge combined with the very best products and tailored solutions has seen the business continue to follow an impressive growth curve.
- 2006: ViewSat (formerly ViewAfrica Network) is launched to provide distribution services across Sub-Saharan Africa using PanAm Sat10 (renamed IS10 in 2006) KU Band.
- March 2006: Distribution to cable head ends made possible with platform on IS7 C Band to cover Europe, Middle East and North Africa and Asia.
- February 2008: Launch of platform on IS10 from Germany providing additional connectivity from North America and Europe.
- January 2009: Established operations centre in the UK.
- January 2009: ViewSat playout centre established in UK and six playout servers purchased to commence services.
- December 2009: ViewSat launched first platform for Middle East and North Africa from Germany on Atlantic Bird 4A, renamed Eutelsat 7 West A in 2012, to complement services already offered in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- May 2011: Third platform launched for Sub-Sarharan Africa on IS10 KU Band (renamed IS20 KU Band in 2012).
- December 2011: Dedicated fibre system set up between South Africa and the UK.
- 2012: ViewSat embarks on further expansion program across the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa and North America. North America was a new region to ViewSat, unlike the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa. With planned expansion into North America to take place in 2013.
- March 2013: Successful completion of new MCR to accommodate growing number of services
- June 2013: Viewsat launch of 4th Intelsat 20 Ku Band platform for Sub-Saharan Africa. ViewSat completes construction of a 9m antenna to support existing Direct-to-home services to the MENA region
- July 2013: ViewSat invest in web streaming capabilities including video capture and in-house multi-bit rate encoding. ViewSat sign for additional capacity on premium MENA 7/8° West neighbourhood for September 2013 launch.